Prev | Next
Well, I always love setting a few rivets, and I tend to work in little spurts so that I can set at least a few. The next few rivets in the project are the ones for the aileron spar reinforcements.
First off (no pictures), I grabbed the right aileron spar and reinforcement plates I deburred and scuffed yesterday, cleaned them, and got them outside in the driveway (on a cardboard box, on my trash bin) for some priming.
While those were drying, I deburred and countersunk the counterbalance pipe. This was way easier than I thought it was going to be.
To check countersink depth, I grabbed a CSP-4 (is it CS4-4?) I can’t believe I can’t remember the rivet number…anyway, and countersunk until it was just deeper than needed.
This may be a couple clicks too deep. I'll back it off on the next ones.
Then, time to deburr the aileron leading edge.
Yup, that's what I'm doing...
With that accomplished, I followed in many other builders’ footsteps and dimpled the leading edge by clecoing it to the countersunk counterbalance pipe balanced on a 2×4.
Mine didn't seem to move around much, so I'm glad I didn't waste the time duct taping small dowel rods down the 2x4 to steady things.
I fished out my (Paul’s) c-frame die and my #30 male dimple die.
Was this picture really necessary?
And, after a whack and a half…
Wuhoo! Looks like a great dimple!
A shot without the rivet...this worked great for me...like everyone else.
Okay, inside with the pipe for some cleaning, and outside to prime (now that it’s no longer being used as a female dimple die for the leading edge skin.
Let’s start on some more deburring, dimplineg edge-finishing, and priming.
I snatched up the two leading edge ribs, and spent about 45 minutes edge finishing all the little crevices with a needle file.
This part of building an airplane sucks.
But, after a few minutes, I had a deburred, edge-finished, and scuffed leading edge rib. Time for dimpling!
After that, more cleaning, and those went outside for priming, too.
Just in time for my spar and reinforcement plates to dry!
Okay, which of these rivets can I set? (Ten minutes of staring passes...)
Okay, this is the outboard side. Those two AN426 rivets are just in there for hole alignment. They can NOT be set at this time, only the three on the left.
Of which I've set one.
Look at that beautiful shop head.
More rivet setting, and moving over to the inboard side.
Over there, the three inner-most rivets can be set, along with the two AN426AD3-4 rivets for the K1000-3 nutplate, shown.
The foreground-most holes are for the aileron bracket and the main rib attachments, the clecoed row is for the leading edge rib attachments.
I guess I needed a picture of the manufactured heads.
I think this picture means the counterbalance pipe and leading edge ribs are primed.
Sweet. Let's go find some blind rivets.
The plans call for these.
One in each side...
For a total of ten rivets tonight.
Good night. A few parts primed, a few parts assembled.
1.5 hours. 10 Rivets. Wuhoo! (Time for bed, I’m exhausted.)
Prev | Next