Guess what? I worked on the airplane today, so the observant of you should realize that I am NOT on my way to OSH. Boo.
No use worrying about the spilled milk, though. More time for me to work on the airplane.
I need to leak test the right tank, but first, I have to finish sealing it up completely. Last post, I got everything sealed except for the float sender. Here’s the plans shot showing the sender, but it’s showing it mounted to the access plate. Mine will be the same dimensions, but entering from the rear of the tank in the second bay.
To install in the sender, you line up the plastic piece with the slot in the metal housing, and slide the float wire in.
Now, let’s clean up and get this thing sealed in there.
After cleaning up a whole bunch, I put the rubber gasket in place with some sealant (couldn’t decide if I needed some or not), then put the float in, then more sealant around the edges, and some sealant for the screws.
I retested the sender and noticed 240 Ohms to 80 Ohms (I think I saw something lower before). That’s okay, my EFIS (Electronic Flight Information System) will calibrate the range of fuel levels based on resistance later.
Okay, that was about a half hour, and there are plenty of hours left in the day, so let’s move on. I think the next thing on the docket is to get the leading edge on the spar permanently. I have the leading edge landing light installed, and the tiendown bracket is good to go.
A changing of the plans picture…to the wing rivets and skins page.
After a few long minutes of getting the spar holes countersunk, I rubbed the scotchbrite pad over the length of the flange, cleaned up with MEK, then taped off to get some primer on there.
Okay, before I just start riveting the leading edge to the spar, I want to make sure everything lines up again. So, I want to put the tank on the spar, and the opposite skin from where I’m working.
Before I can get the tank on, I need to grab some nutplate for the inboard tank z-brackets.
Then I grabbed the outboard lower skin, and got it clecoed on.
Then, I grabbed the tank and put screws in every 5th hole.
With the leading edge 50% clecoed, I decided it was finally time to show the FAA I’m really building this airplane. Sorry this awesome picture of a pre-squeezed rivet blocked the shot.
After 65 rivet squeezings, I had the upper leading edge skin riveted to the spar.
After 65 more rivet squeezings, I had the lower leading edge skin riveted to the spar.
GOOD DAY IN THE SHOP, high fives all around.
So….0.5 hours toward the tank. 2.5 hours toward the wings.
6 rivets for the spar nutplates, and 65 rivets each on the top and bottom of the leading edge. That makes 136.