How exciting! I get to roll the right elevator leading edge today!
Okay, if you couldn’t sense the sarcasm there, I’ll lay it out for you. I hate rolling leading edges.
Then, I took a picture of how I tape, which I have since ammended.
Of course, since things started going badly, I forgot to take more pictures, but rest assured, I have some unintentional puckering between rivets on one of my rolled sections. The crappy thing is that once you roll and remove the pipe and tape, it is really hard to go back and re-roll.
Anyway, I moved on to installing the rod-end bearings.
They want you to install the elevator rod-ends to 13/16″.
After getting those in, I set the elevators aside and moved back to the trim tab. Here, I’m using wood backing (so the pilot of the countersink cutter has a good guide) and countersinking the holes on the top of the spar only (you can’t dimple the top, because the hinge sits just underneath the spar flange).
Then, it was time to dimple the skin. I only got the tab to a place where I can cleco it back together. I still have to fabricate some trim tab riblets.
Then, I dragged the horizontal stabilizer out of the storage room and installed the elevators. Once I realized I had to drill out the hinge brackets to #12, the bolts went right in.
I’ll take more pictures of it for you sometime, but for now, I’m just going to leave this assembly on the workbench for a few days and admire it.
3 hours today. 22 more rivets.