Well, it’s monday. And even though I have a couple things remaining on the right elevator, I am going to follow the flow of the directions and move on to the left elevator before coming back to finish both of them.
In addition to the items they want you to do to both at the same time (roll leading edges, install rod-end bearings, etc.), I’ll have to come back to do three things on the right elevator:
- Fix a few over-driven rivets (and a couple that bent over that I didn’t catch at the time.)
- Figure out how to add RTV to the trailing edges after the fact (anyone have any ideas?)
- Trim down the counterbalance. I elected not to do this on purpose.
Anyway, on to the left elevator. Here’s the obligatory changing-of-the-plans shot.
As I only have about a half an hour tonight, my plan was to just cover the basics. First, lay out all of the left elevator parts.
Devinyl the skeleton parts.
Then, on to real work…kind of. The manual wants me to attach the hinge reinforcing plates to the spar, then move to the outer ribs.
Blah blah blah, assemble the skeleton. For now, I didn’t do any match-drilling. I do that hole-by-hole as I take the thing apart.
Finally, I found one more of the stiffener angles. I got that devinyled and then cut from hole to hole to form some of the smaller stiffeners.
With that stuff done, I headed inside and caught someone with their hands in the cookie (doggie-treat) jar.
Lucky you, I got some video.