Holy crap I got a lot done today. If you remember from yesterday, I forgot to attach a wire for the float fuel sender. Instead of ordering an appropriate sized wire, I used some of the only aircraft grade wire I had laying around, which was some 16 AWG. I know that is way too big (we’re just measuring a resistance), but it’ll work so I can install these tanks for the last time today.
Some people run two wires, but I checked the resistance through the tank, and I’m getting a nice solid reading from the tank itself, so here’s my one wire to the center conductor.
After reinstalling the tank, I held the wire to the negative lead and held the positive lead against a few different points on the tank.
All read between 38Ω and 240Ω or so, so I’m good.
I’m flying through these skins right now. Pretty soon, I’ll have nothing left to do other than install the upper wing skins.
On tap for today is some dimpling and priming.
Here’s the inboard skin, ready for dimpling.
Oh yeah, don’t forget your scarf joint. (A nice transition from the inboard skin to the outboard skin by the tank so there isn’t a big step.)
I also filed down the inboard side of the outer skin (the one I’m holding below).
For some reason, you can see a little of the edge on the left side of the picture, but I didn’t notice this with my naked eye.
I’m very happy with it. It is a great transition from tank to skin.
After the scarf joint, I spent about 2.5 hours dimpling.
After a little prep, I shot these with self-etching primer.
For the outboard skin, I actually hung it inside-out on the wing.
3.0 hours of dimpling fun. All I have to do now is deburr and dimple the skeleton. Then, skin riveting!