OH MY GOSH!
Well, even though my last post said I was getting back into the mood of airplane building, it’s been almost a MONTH since I spent time on the project.
Anyway, I had a day off today, and I managed to spend a couple hours in the airplane factory.
Let’s see if I remember how to take and post picture.
After a little garage cleanup, I got the right leading edge out and got back to deburring all of the holes. I think deburring took about 30 minutes.
Once done, I took the cradles off the skin and opened her up to do some scuffing.
Then, I broke out the c-frame and started dimpling. This actually takes awhile, because you have to be careful not to punch any extra holes in the skin.
To tell you the truth, it’s really not that noticeable, except for the fact that it is on the top of the wing (AND YOU’LL ALL NOTICE IT)!
Anyway, I used some flat sets and pounded it flat, then filed it down a little, and dimpled the primary hole.
I could throw a fit and order a new leading edge from Van’s, or I could just build on, and cover this with filler and paint.
(I don’t think I can polish the wings anymore.)
Well, in the interest of building on, I decided to do a little riveting today. I had a couple ribs prepped (my legend: R2 and R3), so I got them prepped, primed, and clecoed in place. (Making sure to cleco one rib on either side of those so the leading edge was perfectly straight.
I shot and bucked every other one (no mistakes) and then replaced the clecoes with rivets, moved the tape over, and finished the row.
(Needless to say, I started with the bottom of the leading edge, so any mistakes due to out-of-practice riveting wouldn’t be so obvious.)
Wash. Rinse. Repeat. (Crap, I meant flip, cleco, rivet, repeat.)
Here’s the “club” rivet. I think I’m going to leave it like this, and just watch it for cracks, but someone will probably tell me I need to drill this out and replace it with some other solution. We’ll see.
Oh, and I was having trouble counting rivets today, which was weird.
3 hours, 58 rivets, 1 figure-8. Boo.