So the other day, one of the people in my household (I’ll let you guess if it was me or not) decided that we better clean out the guest closet before my cousin comes to visit for a little.
“What was in the closet?” you ask…
Well, a whole bunch of airplane parts, including some empennage tips.
So, we shuffled some things around, and cleaned up a little. BUT, I started thinking about where to store these things. It gets pretty hot in the garage, so I told myself that I really only wanted them out there if they were actually installed on the empennage.
Okay, that’s as good of an excuse to do some airplane work as any, so I got to it.
First step, get the VS down from the wall.
Next step: located VS-909.
There really isn’t any science to getting this thing drilled. It pretty much fits snugly in one orientation.
As a side note, the front edge of the VS isn’t perfectly aligned with the edge of the front of the tip, but I am a fiberglass master (by “master” I really mean “worked for a sailboat shop when I was a teenager, so I’m not afraid of a little shaping.”) I’d rather install the tip along the ridge meant for the top of the VS and adjust the front of the tip than the other way around.
After a few #40 holes:
Then, I started digging back through my hardware bins (and this blog) to remember how I was going to attach these.
It all came flooding back. Yes, I’m going to attach them with #6 screws. (Insert long never-ending discussion about whether to make them removable.) I like the idea of eventually putting a camera in the VS tip, so here I go…)
I marked up a few .025″ strips of aluminum sheet, and cut them out.
Then, clamped them in place.
I drilled the middle hole, clecoed in the nutplate, drilled one of the leg holes, stuck a rivet in there to hold its orientation, then drilled the other leg’s hole.
After that was complete, I realized that I really wanted to sand off the gelcoat before priming etc, and that I better wait to rivet in the nutplates until that’s done as well.
For now, I turned my attention back to the VS, where I needed to enlarge the attach holes to make room for the #6 dimple die.
A quick search on the iphone…
I went searching through my hardware bins…
…found a #28 drill, then drilled, deburred, and dimpled the four holes on each side of the VS top.
Without starting some sanding and countersinking, I think I’m stuck for a little.
Good night, and within a week of the previous entry. Sweet!