Prev | Next
Not too much today. I got the lower left elevator stiffeners deburred, dimpled and primed.
Here are some of the stiffeners on the priming table.
Then, I turned my attention back to the skin to start devinyling.
Left elevator, ready to be devinyled.
Here are a couple lines showing my devinlying process. These are made with a soldering gun held against a wooden straight-edge.
Oh yeah, almost forgot. I stumbled across another Harbor Freight coupon. I bought this ~$10 storage container for wing hardware.
I have two already, one for rivets, and one for Empennage hardware. I assume I'll need a third for wing hardware (I'll combine the rivets from wing and emp if need be).
Okay, back to the project. I’ve pulled off some of the vinly strips.
Pulled off some of the vinyl strips.
Here, my devinyl line overlaps the tracing a little.
Another angle here.
So I put the trim spar in position, and realized I could move the line back a little, so that's what I did.
Next, I deburred and scuffed the skin in preparation for dimpling. (It’s easier to scuff before dimpling.)
The lines to the right have been scuffed, the trim spar reinforcement area has not.
A closeup of scuffed versus not-scuffed.
To scuff an area (in preparation for priming), I scuff in one 45° direction…
45° to the right.
Then, 90° from that.
All done. You can sort of see the two directions.
Finally, some dry stiffeners, ready to be backriveted to the skins.
I always like to take a big picture shot at the end of the day.
Left skin, ready for dimpling.
Tomorrow, maybe a little skin dimpling, priming, and backriveting stiffeners.
Prev | Next