Well, I decided that with an hour to kill this afternoon after the Bears game (they whooped up on the Titans), I would go outside and see if I could do something productive.
I managed to get a few more rivets set in the bottom skins.
Let me apologize in advance, the pictures are in a weird order.
First up, I peeled back the skin to make sure I could get to the rivets I was interested in. But also, AND THIS IS KEY, you have to make sure that once you set those rivets, you won’t back yourself into a corner where you can’t reach another set of rivets, so I checked (what I’ll call) “future” rivets.
I can reach both sides for about 4 rivets before I have to reposition a little.
After spending so much time cleaning, I was amazed at how quickly the workbench started filling up again.
After 30 minutes of (loud) shooting and bucking, I called it quits on the loud stuff for the day.
Since the skin doesn’t have to be peeled back as much anymore, I set another 13 rivets of the hinge. (I’m getting good at installing and removing the flap. Not that I have to, I just like to store it on the wing. Seems the safest there.)
If you’re counting ribs, I am now halfway (4 of 8) done with the lower inboard skin. It’s going to get easier moving outboard, too.
1.0 hour. 53 rivets. It’s not really a streak until it’s three days in a row, so don’t jinx me.