Left Wing Leading Edge Stall Warning

November 22, 2012

Prev | Next

Happy Thanksgiving!

This morning, while having a declicious cup of coffee, I noticed Jack and Ginger having a conversation while looking out the window:

Jack: “Ginger, what are you thankful for?”

Ginger: “I’m thankful for all these neighbors to bark at.”

(And yes, Ginger ends her sentences in prepositions. That’s how she rolls.)

Here comes one now!

Anyway, later that morning, I thought a little garage reorganization was in order.

I didn’t take great pictures, but this was a big step in the progress of the project. I moved the right wing (currently closest to the work benches) to the “outside” spot.

Before.

After. (Although this is really a “before” shot. As in, before I add some 2x4s to protect the wing from door dings.)

Anyway, time to get started on the left wing.

Since the leading edge was already sitting on the bench, I went ahead and matchdrilled it.

Matchdrilled.

I’ve also decided that even if I don’t end up using the stall warning vane that Van’s now provides with all their kits, I should at least install the little riblet to allow future installation.

You can see that top flange needs to be fluted.

Much better.

Then, I thought I’d get out the stall warning system to at least see how it’s going to work.

An overview picture.

The detailed subassembly.

Luckily, all the hardware came in a separate bag.

The subassembly built up.

I didn’t final assemble anything (still need to deburr, prep, and prime), but this is how it will fit together.

1.5 hours today. Mostly reorganization, but some building.

Now, it’s time for football!

Prev | Next


Drilled Left Flap Hinge

October 9, 2011

Prev | Next

Today, I kind of accidentally worked on the airplane. I wasn’t really planning on it, but I was taking out the garbage (see lower left of first picture), and I just happened to drill the first hole.

Then, I kind of drilled half the holes, and had to go back inside to get the camera.

But wait, let’s back up. I spent a lot of time the other day and before starting to drill to really make sure everything was lined up really well.

Halfway done.

Here’s my technique. I had some c-clamps along the whole length of the hinge, and every few holes, I’d cleco the drilled holes, move my three sideclamps down, drill three more, then CHECK THE HINGE FOR FREE MOVEMENT.

I’m not sure what I could have done if it had gotten out of alignment, but I was paranoid about doing this right, and my paranoia turned out to be fore no reason.

Turned out great.

After drilling all the hinge holes, I took the clamps off and was rewarded with baby’s-butt smooth hinge movement.

Done!

There’s still a little on the end I need to trim, but I’ll figure that part out another day.

I'm taking the win while I can.

Time for football!

0.5 hours.

Prev | Next