Well, it’s Friday, and I had both a great and crappy week.
Enough small talk, let’s get building!
Since it was 1,000°F in the garage today, I brought the right tank skin inside (nice air conditioning) to do some deburring.
First, I deburred the outside of the skin, then moved to the interior. Per my usual, after deburring a few holes, I’d scuff up the line so I knew where I had been.
In preparation for dimpling (where the skin needs to slide on the workbench, I cleaned up a little, which included taking apart the vacuum to find out why it’s been making that weird noise.
I still needed to remove some vinyl from a few places, so I clecoed the drain flange on the wrong side and used it as a guide for the soldering iron.
I did the same with the fill cap and flange. Clecoed them on the outside so I could get a nice round hole.
I don’t know what this picture is showing.
Oh, while the soldering iron was cooling down, I didn’t want to just abandon it to start a fire or anything, so I kept the fill cap flange out and decided to do some countersinking.
First, though, I found some 0.32″ and made a #40 hole, then dimpled with the deeper tank dimple dies.
After some countersinking…
I turned it a few clicks deeper and went back around.
Hmm. Soldering iron is still hot. Maybe I’ll fool around with some AN hardware since that stuff is coming up.
I fished out the AN hardware, both -4D and -6D sizes and screwed some pieces together based on the plans. -4 is four sixteenths, or for 1/4″ tubing and -6 is six sixteenths, or 3/8″ tubing.
On the RV airplanes, fuel vent lines are 1/4″ tubing (-4D hardware, in the background), and fuel feed lines are 3/8″ tubing (-6D hardware, in the foreground).
1.5 hours. Proseal soon…