Well, I know I’ve been bombarding you with new posts lately (not!), but I did get a fair amount done today. As you can tell from the title of the post, I finished the left rear spar.
More importantly, I made an investment to my health this week.
I present to you…(triumphant music)…a heater.
This is a pretty sweet heater. It’s small, only cost $20, and by no means will it heat the garage, BUT, the garage is no longer (literally) freezing, and I can work in front of the workbench comfortably for a whole day. It will provide me with two heat settings and has a little fan in it. I set it in the corner of the workbench (as pictured above), and after about 5 minutes, I have to turn it down to the low setting. After about ten minutes, it is pretty comfortable where I’m standing in front of my workbench. And, now that I think about it, it does take the chill off the rest of the garage. Even for the one day I’ve really used it while I was finishing the floors, it has totally earned its cost back.
Okay, back to the airplane. I finally found my stepdrill, and made a couple holes in my W-707E.
I clecoed W-707E back onto the rear spar and flipped it over to use the dremel to clean out the rest of the aileron pushrod hole.
After that, I moved on to dimpling the reinforcement plates where I won’t be able to dimple them later.
Then, after a little more scuffing and cleaning, I shot primer on the spar.
After a couple hours inside while the primer dried, I came back out and studied the rivet callouts.
Moving outboard, I studied the same callout for the middle reinforcement plate, or W-707E.
And repeat with the outboard reinforcement plate.
Then, I couldn’t help but grab the right spar and put them both up on the workbench.
Anyway, all the rivets were symmetrical from right side to left side, which doesn’t mean I’m correct, it just means that if I did make any mistakes, I made them twice!
Now, all that’s left on the spars is to finish up the left tiedown. Then, I really need to make some wing stands and finish up some rib deburring.
Tonight was a good night. 56 rivets, and it feels really good to get something big put together.
Onward and upward!