Tonight, I finished the first assembly in the practice kit. Only a few notes, and some lessons learned.
Big lessons learned:
- The soldering iron leaves a mark if you aren’t careful, be gentle, and go slow enough that it melts the vinyl.
- Deburring holes was very easy, even with just an oversize drill bit.
- Buy a nice countersink. I faked it with a drill bit, and the results will not be acceptable on the real project.
- Less scratches tonight, but still a lot. I need to get some scotchbrite pads and self-etching primer to rehearse the prep and priming phases.
- I want to experiment with priming before dimpling. I’ve heard people have had good results (said another way, no bad results due to priming a weirdly angled surface in the dimple.)
I am very happy that I did this part of the practice kit first. Now I know how to proceed on the real kit, and nothing with drilling, deburring, dimpling, countersinking, or riveting will be new to me, even on the practice kit. (I plan on displaying the practice kit prominently, so it better look good.)